Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Blog Triage class


With a commitment to building a more vibrant blog, I signed up for the 4-week Blog Triage class with Cynthia Morris and Alyson Stanfield. Today’s assignment is to describe the people I want to visit and read my blog.


-Other creative and artistic people who are interested in my work and process

-People who are not artists, but are interested in art and learning more about textile art

-People who enjoy creativity and design


So then what do I want to get from writing a blog? Well, that's hard, as it's not at all where I started. I used to write my blog as a journal to document my fitness plans and fitness lifestyle. But that became so boring, and honestly, it felt preachy. I also got a lot of criticism about my fitness and diet choices, and the last thing I want/need/like is criticism (this applies to everything in my life, so should we meet in person, please don't tell me I'm looking chubby or need a new wardrobe...I can't handle it!).


In the past few years I've let my blogging slip as one of the other problems I've come up against is just feeling like all that I posted was too personal, and while when I first started blogging that was fine, it's now unacceptable and unprofessional to share anything personal that isn't positive and uplifting. And that's where I fell off of the posting wagon...I didn't have anything to post along those lines.


I also didn't produce much work in the past two or three years, or at least none that I really wanted to show to anyone. So I didn't feel motivated to post about my process or many completed projects (and I figured it wasn't very exciting to show readers a trashcan full of junk art!).


What I want now is to turn all of this around and start posting about my process, the physical process and the contemplative process. And I want to be able to create posts that someone finds interesting to read. Hopefully this class will help me put all of that together.


And just so this isn't a totally boring post, here's a picture of a lovely Japanese Maple I took in San Jose last month:



16 comments:

Susan Tantlinger said...

Dear Mandi, You sure look fat. JUST KIDDING. So do I. Don't be so hard on yourself! We're all in this together! Hang in there. Susan.

Mandi said...

Thanks, Susan. I'm sure we'll all get a lot out of it!

Najla said...

Mandi, I've been reading what you've written over the last several years. At times it is inspiring and breathtaking photos of your work...other times my heart goes out to the emotions that are running through your work and life. But I promise, I've always found it interesting and I can't wait to see what else you write about!

JoJoBell said...

Mandi, Your blog really shows how blogs tend to eb and flow, just like life. I think it is a natural process. :)

Anonymous said...

My two cents:
I love reading about what you are working on and learning. I find that inspiring. Even when you are frustrated and not loving what you made it is good to hear what you are thinking and feeling.

As for being chubby...HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You are as cute as ever. And you have a really good designer for your wardrobe...I think her name is Mandi something??

Have fun in the class.
Hugs
Christine Amaryllis

Mandi said...

Najla...thank you so much for reading and letting me know you enjoy the blog.

JoJoBell...I never thought about it being like an ebb and flow, but I think that's an apt description.

Anon: Thank you for visiting, I know you are busy! Some days my designer says I should just wear sweatpants and be done with it!

Anonymous said...

Hi Fabric Princess
I tryed to find something about batik and 1 st site was yours.
After receiving batik gift i want much to begin learn make batik.
Is it difficult and should begin to do this or better and more cheaper to buy made batik clothe?
Thank you
Igor from Uzbekistan
igor1981_pif@mail.ru

Antonia Lucas-Ruppert said...

Hi there Mandi! This is Toni from your Blog Triage class. I can appreciate your transparency. I agree with your previous commenter that life (and your blog) is showing a natural process. Keep up the good work!

Margret said...

Hello Mandi, I am one of your fellow Blog Triage students, so I have been looking at the various styles and techniques of all the members. Your subtle and splendid colors caught my eye. They are quite lovely and elegant. I look forward to hearing more about your techniques.
Margret

Kathryn said...

Hi Mandi,
I'm Kathryn and I am in your Blog Triage class. I think that all of us in the BT class share a bit of your feelings, or else we wouldn't have signed up. We all want/need some help/advice/feedback.
We're in this with you!

Nanci Hersh said...

HI Mandi,

Nanci from your class. fabric, printing, the two together, be still my heart. check out this site
to see some of Louise Bourgeois' fabric works inspired by her growing up surrounded by textiles.

http://www.hauserwirth.com/exhibitions/743/louise-bourgeois-the-fabric-works/view/

Talisa Selby said...

Mandi - I'm also from the Blog Triage class. It's so good to hear about the ebb and flow. I'm fairly new to blogging. I started last summer, found out how hard it was and my posts seemed to go off in a totally different direction than I intended. I'm hopeful this class can help with that. I also love fabric - I'm trying to be creative with my stash!
Talisa

Robbie said...

Guess I feel blogs can be about art,life, ups and downs..if someone doesn't want to read my blog they can hit the return key. I've been reading your blog, Mandi, often through the years. I learn more about you through your thoughts and art work. Keep it going, please!

MulticoloredPieces said...

Greetings from Tunisia! Just happened upon your blog while surfing the net and trying to beat the heat (over 100 F. today in Tunisia). First of all, your textile work is lovely, very subtle colors and designs. Secondly, I appreciated your thoughts on the use of blogging. Being relatively new to blogland, I had figured some of these things out, but you spelled it out. Thanks for sharing.
best, nadia

David Haas said...

Hi,
I have a question about your blog. Please email me!
Thanks,
David

Couture Millinery Atelier. said...

Dear Mandi, responding to your comment left in my Blog. You know, ladies can wear hats without having to remove them once they are inside. The etiquette permits to do so. My suggestion is to find your type of hat that would make you feel beautiful and comfortable for both inside and outside wear. Facsinators seem to be an obvious choice since there gazillion types of them and if fitted properly you won't even feel that you are wearing one. Learning how to wear hats is almost like learning how to wear high heeled shoes: you make few mistakes, trip once or twice but at the end you learn how to walk in them. :-) I have no doubt you look beautiful in hats!:-)